Kava is a natural supplement that originates from the Pacific Islands and is derived from the roots of the kava plant. It has been used for centuries in traditional medicine practices to treat a range of conditions, including anxiety, insomnia, and stress. However, recent studies have highlighted even more benefits of kava, emphasizing its medically-based wellness effects. Here are the top 5 benefits of kava.
- Anxiety and Stress Relief Kava’s primary benefit is its ability to reduce anxiety and promote relaxation. Kava contains kavalactones, which interact with the brain’s neurotransmitter receptors, such as GABA-A and dopamine receptors. These receptors play a crucial role in regulating mood, anxiety, and reward. Kava’s calming and soothing effects help reduce anxiety and improve sleep quality, which is essential for overall wellness. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology found that kava was as effective as a prescription anti-anxiety medication in treating generalized anxiety disorder.
Kava drink is made out of kava powder
- Improved Sleep Quality Kava has also been found to promote better sleep, making it an excellent natural remedy for insomnia. Poor sleep quality can lead to several health problems and affect overall well-being. Kava’s sedative effects help induce sleep and improve sleep quality. A study published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology found that kava supplementation improved sleep quality in people with sleep disturbances.
- Pain Relief Kava’s pain-relieving properties make it a great natural remedy for conditions such as osteoarthritis. A study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that kava supplementation reduced pain and inflammation in patients with osteoarthritis. Kava has muscle relaxant properties, which may help to relieve muscle pain and tension, making it a great alternative to traditional painkillers.
- Anti-Cancer Properties Kava’s anti-cancer properties make it a great supplement for people who want to reduce their risk of cancer. A study published in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry found that kavalactones inhibited the growth of various cancer cell lines. Kava’s antioxidant properties help reduce oxidative stress, which can lead to cellular damage and increase the risk of cancer.
- Reduced Symptoms of Menopause Kava has been found to be effective in reducing symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes, mood swings, and sleep disturbances. Menopause is a natural process that occurs in women as they age, but it can be a difficult transition for some women. A study published in the journal Maturitas found that kava supplementation reduced hot flashes and improved sleep quality in menopausal women.